St. Christopher’s traces its beginnings to 1941 when it began as a mission of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Flint, due in large part to the vision of St. Paul’s and the generosity of Charles F. Barth. Services were held in a variety of locations in the early days including Bendle School and the homes of those close to St. Christopher’s.
On August 1, 1950, the Rev. Frederick R. (Bob) Davidson was assigned as the first full-time vicar for St. Christopher’s and remained in that position until his retirement in 1991. In 1953, ground was broken for a new church at South Saginaw and Jolson Street in Burton, with the first service taking place on April 4, 1954. The church was dedicated on June 26, 1954 by the Right Rev. Richard S. Emerich, Bishop of Michigan, and the Rev. Franklin P. Bennett, rector of St. Paul’s. Charles Barth, principal benefactor, also attended.
Continued growth required expansion of the South Saginaw location, with the addition of the church school in 1959.
In 1970, the 8.3 acres parcel on which the current church sits at Cook Road and South Saginaw in Grand Blanc, was acquired. A generous contribution from the Barth Trust Fund discharged the debt on the property in 1977. Upon Mr. Davidson’s retirement in 1991 and with the hiring of the Rev. George L. Cleaves Jr., from New York, on June 1. 1992, discussions intensified about St. Christopher’s becoming an independent parish and whether the existing building should be modified or a new building should be constructed. On October 24, 1993, the congregation voted unanimously to become an independent parish. On Sept. 17, 1995, 89.5 percent of the congregation voted to relocated to the South Saginaw and Cook Road location.
A committee – Project 99 – was formed to oversee the design and building of the church. David Swanson, of Lansing, was chosen as architect. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on Pentecost, May 31, 1998, attended by parishioners, local clergy, local and national dignitaries and the Rt. Rev. Edwin Leidel, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Michigan.
The first service took place Aug. 20, 2000 and the church was dedicated on September 30, 2000, with Bishop Leidel officiating.